A) Select one or two sculptures that you believe best reflect on the stylistic characteristics of Greek art from the Classical Period (Early, High, or Late). Explain the stylistic characteristics that were admired during the Greek Classical period. Then, explain how those characteristics are shown in the sculpture you selected. (See Greek Sculpture Summary in Ch5 Module)
B) Using the mummy case of Artemidorus and the wall painting from Villa of the Mysteries, Pompeii: identify the materials and associated with each object, and the purposes of each. How do these artworks provide information relating to the Roman Empire and its history? (Read the Metropolitan Museum artwork information posted on Canvas Assignment page) https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/547951
C) Compare and contrast the Greek Parthenon with the Roman Pantheon. How does each represent its period and culture? For example, what was the structure’s function? The material used?Where was the structure located? The shaping of space? (Watch Videos on Roman Pantheon and Colosseum)
1) Organized your paper: Essay format with an introduction, thesis statement, supporting
paragraphs, and a conclusion; 2-3 pages in length
- thesis statement is a sentence, generally in the introduction that tells the reader the main idea of the essay.
- Art Vocabulary: Use and define art vocabulary.
- Supporting paragraphs that provide examples and details from the objects that support your main idea (thesis statement)
- Conclusion: summarize the discussion in the essay.
2) Use your own words: This is NOT intended as a research paper, but an opportunity to show
your understanding of the people and art studied thus far.
The essay is 2-3 pages (minimum 550 words), typed, and double spaced. Use the art vocabulary developed during the course in your essay. Plagiarism is unacceptable. If a student is found to have plagiarized information on an assignment, they will receive “0” points for that assignment. Cite your s Canvas accepts: MSWord docx or doc, and .pdf – no other formats are readable (appears as a blank page and no credit).